Team One Credit Union was originally organized by a group of 15 teachers in 1935 as Saginaw Teachers Club Credit Union. Formed to fill a need as a place where teachers could receive financial assistance at reasonable rates, the purpose of this credit union was, and is, to encourage thrift (savings) among our members. In the early years, the credit union was maintained at Saginaw High School in the physics classroom of Mr. Poulson, who was also the credit union treasurer. In 1957, Dean Ruple and his wife, Lois, ran the credit union from their front porch. New teachers moving into the area were often given loans for clothes and an apartment. Because they were new to the area, and had no money, it was also common for Dean Ruple to give teachers the money to open an account for membership.
In 1967, the Saginaw Main Office was opened and the first credit union employee, Don Pilon was hired and eventually became the first CEO of Team One Credit Union. Konnie Werner was named President/CEO upon Don’s retirement from the credit union. At the time of Konnie Werner’s retirement, the Board of Directors named Gerald Hutto as her replacement as President/CEO. Since the credit union was established in 1935, we have seen tremendous growth in assets, loans and branch facilities as well as new services and technologies to serve our diverse membership. We have been able to accomplish this with the help of our dedicated and caring board and staff who have contributed their time and efforts for 80 years to the success of the credit union and for the benefit of our members.
History of Our Branches
(Click on a branch to read more)
The Main office on Hayden Street in Saginaw, across from the Saginaw Public Schools Board of Education, was opened in 1967. That structure was torn down in 1983, and the current facility was built to accommodate the increase in membership. In July of 2006, remote teller stations were installed in the lobby for walk-in transactions. In 2014, a new addition was added to the existing building nearly doubling the size of the Main office to accommodate our growing staff and membership base.
Our Saginaw Township branch opened in June 1997. Designed as a contemporary, high-tech facility, this branch was built at the request of members who wanted credit union services in the Township. It has all the latest in financial services delivery, including interactive video monitors in the drive-thru. There are two ATM’s at this location - one in the drive-thru and the other in the lobby.
In Elkton, a merger with the Elkton Area Credit Union enabled the credit union to expand into Huron County. An ATM was installed in Elkton in 1996 about a block from the office. In November of 2004, we moved from the Elkton location to a brand new building in Bad Axe with drive thru service and an ATM lane to service a larger member base. An additional Team One ATM is located at Huron Community Hospital.
In Sandusky, the merger with the Sanilac County Teachers Credit Union allowed members in this section of the Thumb to finally receive full service from their credit union. In 2004, the existing office was removed to make room for the new 4,000 square foot facility with 3 drive-up lanes and an ATM lane. During construction, Team One was temporarily located at 462 W. Sanilac Road in the Sandusky Plaza (near Family Dollar). In 2014, an ATM was installed in Jerry’s Foodland in Sandusky.
In August 2005, we opened a branch inside the Wal-Mart store in Bay City. In August of 2010, we relocated our Bay City Office from the Walmart store to an office on Wilder Road and installed a stand- alone drive up ATM at that site. In 2014, we relocated our Bay City office to a beautifully remodeled full service branch in Historic downtown Bay City located at 401 E. Midland Street, with four drive-up lanes, a 24 Hour Drive up ATM and safe deposit boxes. Current other ATMs in Bay City include locations on Wilder Road and McKinley Road.
On March 13, 2006 we opened the Thomas Township banking center located on Gratiot Road in Saginaw. This office features full-service financial services and the company’s first remote teller stations (RTS). These RTS units are complete with a phone to talk privately with the MSR, a tube to send the transaction to the MSR (similar to a drive-thru system) and an interactive video monitor so the member and the MSR can see each other for face-to-face banking.
The Caro branch began with our general manager handling credit union transactions once a week for members from a Caro motel room. For many years the Caro branch operated out of two locations on Cleaver Road. The Caro main office was a full service walk in branch with a full array of financial service offerings. A few blocks down, members could conduct Drive Thru transactions at the Caro Express office. In September 2010, the two offices were combined at the Caro Express site (1130 Cleaver Rd.) into a brand new state of the art building. The new office building is approximately 4,700 square feet and offers a 24-hour drive up ATM and 3 drive-thru lanes. Additional Team One ATMs in Tuscola County are located at the Caro Plaza, the Caro Community Hospital and in Sebewaing.
In 2014, we opened two new Regional Business Centers in Traverse City and Alpena in 2014 specializing in Commercial Loans, Real Estate Loan and Indirect Auto Lending. We have also added several ATMs throughout our service area to better serve our growing membership.
In February 2015, Owosso Columbus Credit Union merged with Team One bringing our number of branches throughout Michigan to 10. The merger provided OCCU Members with a wider range of financial products and services as well as a call center with expanded hours. Future plans include building a new larger Owosso branch office with an ATM and multi-lane drive-thru.
In March of 2016, FM Financial Credit Union (originally established in 1934) merged with Team One, increasing Team One’s branches to 11. The branch is located at 606 Stevens Street across from the Flint Farmer’s Market and is one of the only full service financial institutions located in the downtown Flint area. Since the merger, Team One has invested over $1 Million in their facilities update and support of the community and plans on being a vital part of the continued resurgence of the downtown Flint and surrounding area.
The Team One Brighton Regional Loan Center opened at 225 E. Grand River in Brighton in July of 2017 providing the area with Commercial and Mortgage Services.
We have undergone several name changes since conception. In 1955, we became Saginaw Education Association Credit Union. On March 6, 1972, the Board of Directors approved the name change to Education Employees Credit Union and that name remained in effect until it was changed to Team One Credit Union in 1993. Team One Credit Union was chosen to better encompass the growing field of membership and multiple Select Employee Groups.
In 2013, our field of membership was increased to include 63 Michigan counties including Bay, Huron, Saginaw, Tuscola, Sanilac, Shiawassee, Genesee, Lapeer, St. Clair, Mason, Lake, Osceola, Clare, Gladwin, Arenac, Oceana, Newaygo, Mecosta, Isabella, Midland, Muskegon, Montcalm, Gratiot, Ottawa, Kent, Ionia, Clinton, Emmet, Cheboygan, Presque Isle, Charlevoix, Leelanau, Antrim, Otsego, Montmorency, Alpena, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, Crawford, Oscoda, Alcona, Manistee, Wexford, Missaukee, Roscommon, Ogemaw, Iosco, Keweenaw, Ontonagon, Houghton, Baraga, Gogebic, Iron, Marquette, Alger, Dickinson, Menominee, Delta, Schoolcraft, Luce, Chippewa, and Mackinac.
With the merger with Owosso Columbus Credit Union, Team One membership eligibility increased with the addition of Ingham and Livingston counties to 65 Michigan counties.
As of now, Team One Credit Union service is available to residents in ALL Michigan counties.
Team One Credit Union is proud to serve Michigan families and businesses with the financial products and services they need!